Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Phillips BBQ


4307 Leimert Blvd. (though there are other locations which I'll pst at the end)
Los Angeles, CA 90008
(323) 292-7613
Mon 11AM-8PM
Tue-Thurs 11AM-10PM
Fri-Sat 11AM-11PM
Sun. Closed

In an effort to continue stepping things up on my site I'm trying to write more and more. Today I have a standard in LA for you. Phillip's Bar-B-Que has been one of the places to beat for great tasting bar-b-que for years. Foster Phillip's flavoring on his meats is something that late at night you just crave. I used to play over at the World Stage with a guy by the name of David Ornette Cherry and after our set we went right around the corner to Phillip's where he introduced me to some of my favorite all time bar-b-que. At the top I said that there is more than one location (3 to be exact) but the one I'm talking about today is the Leimert Park location, nestled on the northeast edge of the area.

Now I'll tell you this initially that the spot is humble and you know what? That's fine with me. I like it when you know that the food and service is all that a place is about. It tells me that looks don't mean everything and that the product is all that matters. I LOVE THIS PLACE! The first pic below shows the entire restaurant (which is for pickup only) and the second pic is the entire customer area inside taken from outside the restaurant. Not much really but all the food inside is dynamite!


What you can count on for a cheaper plate is $6 to $9 for a sandwich and the meat choices you can choose from are pork ribs, beef ribs, sliced beef (my favorite), beef link, chicken link, ribs tibs and chicken (your choice of white or dark) . It comes with bread (picnic style bread..oh yeah...keeping it real) and a choice of one side order of BBQ Baked beans (which I could seriously have a meal of by themselves) and cole slaw, or potato or macaroni salad (the macaroni salad is the best I've had for this style. Simple and yet flavorful.) The dinner plates have the same meats except for small ends and baby backs and give you two side orders. Let me say for $15.70 for the combination dinner which gives you 3 meats (except small ends or baby backs) is a huge deal. For dessert I would say try the peach cobbler or sweet potato pie. If any of you out there have tried the Sock It To Me cake let me know how it is cause I still have yet to try that one.

All in all this place is about the food and nothing else. They're not trying to impress your vision, they're trying to impress you mouth. Their other locations are as follows:

2619 S. Crenshaw Blvd.
LA, CA 90016
(323) 731-4772

1517 Centinela Ave.
Inglewood, CA 90302
(310) 412-7135

They do catering as well and I can only wish now that I had had them cater my wedding. I don't even care that I would have been a mess afterwards.

Free Drink Refills: It's pickup only
Entree Price Range: Sandwiches about $8 and dinners average around $13...a little pricey but trust me YOU WON'T BE LET DOWN!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home