Monday, February 5, 2007

Duke's Coffee Shop


8909 Sunset Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90069
(310) 652-3100
Mon-Fri 7:30AM-8PM
Sat & Sun 8AM-3:30PM

I go to Duke's to bring lots of people to an LA grease spoon. You walk in and there are long table rows like when you were at camp and the staff are just friends. I would say catch breakfast there as it's some of the best in town. It's great also becuase say you want to bring 20 people into their you can all sit together and it's no big issue. I can totally recommend the Idiot's Delight (an omellette with sauteed mushrooms, green peppers, onions, diced ham, fresh spinach, seasoned with curry, blended with 3 scrambled eggs, served with sliced tomatoes and sourdough bread) (named after the original owner's son beleieve it or not)which is something special indeed or how about the Revenge plate (3 scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, serranos, green pepper, seasoned with chili pepper, topped with avocado and sour cream) which is a favorite for many. They have something that I've had that's just weird enough to make you think did they actually do that and if they did who thought up that plate. Check it: a peach chutney and walnut omellete. Sounds weird and it is weird but something about makes you curious enough to try it. I did. It's pretty stinking good. I would recommend a bagel with cream cheese on the side just cause the sweetness of it can get to you after awhile so it's nice to bite into something that can balance it out. The food here is good in general and though not the healthiest it is worth it to pop on by. It is located next to not one but 2 venues...one being the Cat Club and right next door to the Cat Club is the world famous Whisky A-Go-Go. I don't include it as venue food though cause Duke's isn't open that late.

Duke's was also a favorite drop in point when actors and rock stars didn't mind being seen by normal people. There walls are covered with so many famous people who dropped and thanked them that it's not even funny. I mean Quentin Tarantino likes this place...come on now.

I wish I had taken more pictures of this place especially from the inside. To be honest I'm writing this edition and I feel like I can't say enough about this place. In all honesty I don't care if you like this place as much as me but I absolutely love this place and would heartbroken if it ever dissappeared. There's a little bit of me in this place. On a Sunday at around noon or so you wouldn't be surprised to see me in there with about 10 other people. It's a restaurant that's a sort of an old soul.

Bottomline is that Duke's is a great place that's been around for a very long time in Hollywood and has good food at decent prices with a great staff that seems to have been there forever (there's one female waitress (only that I know of there) that in my opinion is one of the best waitresses in LA). If you see her tell her I talked about this place and her.

Free Drink Refills: Yes
Entree Price Range: $6 to $9

PS. Sorry about the delay in writing...sometimes I get caught up in life and I forget that the same hand I eat with needs to stop for a moment to write about eating as well.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home