Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Green Leaves...vegan love for the meat minded


1769 Hillhurst Ave.
Los Angeles, CA. 90027
(323)664-2345
Open Daily 11AM–Midnight

***Lindsey C. of Reality LA this is so you!***

Our next worthwhile foray into the world of veganism is Green Leaves and what can I say? I'm of the mindset that meat out of sight is out of mind. If any of you have been reading my posts you know that I'm not such a vegan, in fact I love meat to the point of almost wishing I had my own livestock to eat if I could.

Located right across the street from Home in the Los Feliz area this cozy spot has been winning vegan hearts on the East Side for a little while now. The interior has a sort of calm rock and roll meets corner cafe appeal to it (which ironically is also the crowd I think they're aiming for) .
Despite what you may be thinking this is a coconut, not an amateur rocket. And, it was cracked open just for us. If you haven't ventured to try the natural libation of coconut, this is the place to do it. No cracking it at home over your sink with your biggest/heaviest knife, risking life, limb and loss of juice. Here you can enjoy it's lightly sweet nectar and meat for $2.75 and get enough to share between two or three people.

Their Spring Rolls were solid veggie spring rolls, with an emphasis on glass noodles and tofu. What made them stand out was the unusual sauce they served along side, which was like the standard sweet chili oil sauce but theirs had a little something of a special aromatic that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Needless to say the sauce itself added an even fresher taste on this already fresh appetizer.

They describe this their Rock and Roll Noodle as "Pan fried wide rice noodles with tofu, chili sauce, basil, tomato, bell peppers, bean sprouts & our special house jalapeno sauce". I describe it as quite possibly my favorite vegan plate to date. It satisfies my basic needs for something flavorful, healthy, textures and plate size.

Almost looks like a hamburger with mushrooms doesn't it? Well, it's their mushroom burger with lentil loaf for the patty and it made quite a tasty burger. The lentil loaf itself was very tastefully spiced lentils, so if you like lentils you'll love it. The mushrooms were well sauteed and tender, the lettuce, tomato and sprouts fresh and crisp, and served on a super fresh (almost sweet) wheat bun. Make sure you try the sauces they bring out if you get this too, they add great flavors. One word of warning, the lentil loaf might fall apart on you. Celeste found though that if she removed the bottom bun and turned it upside-down that it stayed together just fine. Hey, what matters is that it tastes good and it's healthy, right?

All in all, the restaurant has great returnability factor. Healthy, tasty, good service and some awesome late night hours. Street parking can sometimes be tricky but there's plenty of it so you're cool. So next time you or your significant is feeling healthy or tired or not feeling healthy please pop on in as you'll be highly impresses with their sizable menu of familiar yet alternative eating!

PS. Pop on in for breakfast for some extraordinary pancakes!

Free Refills: Sorry to say but I always forget to check cause I never order soft drinks when I'm there...something about being healthy in there.
Entree Ranges: Appetizers are $3 to $6, soups and salads $3 to $7, breakfast is $4 to $8 and main entrees are $4 to $9. Can you say VERY good deal?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger foodette said...

Wow that all sounds so good - I love the rice noodles and tofu, it looks delish. I agree with you - I enjoy meat, but I really don't miss it if I am eating a properly-made veggie or vegan meal.

November 7, 2007 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hey-- random question: Are you referring to Reality L.A. the church in Hollywood? Do you and Celeste go there?

November 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Jessica, yes I am and yes we do. How do you know about it or do you know Lindsey?

November 7, 2007 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

What a funny coincidence! I had my first Sunday there three weeks ago (how I found it is a very long story), and I have been truly impressed by what I've seen and heard so far. I'm going out of town this weekend, but I'm really excited to go back once I return. I'll have to keep an eye out for you next Sunday!

November 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Rad! I sent you an email with some updated info cause we're (Reality LA) moving ;)

November 8, 2007 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger 90029mommy said...

Wow! This looks so good! I've been wanting to check this place out for a while! Tim & I will have to go now. Thanks!- Lindsey

November 13, 2007 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Yay, you saw the post Lindsey! Let me know if you pop in and give me your thoughts.

November 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home