Friday, June 22, 2007

(There's No Place Like) Home...or so they say


1760 Hillhurst Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323)669-0211
7 days a week 9AM-till they feel like it

There's a lot to be said about a place that calls itself home. Some say it's where you hang your hat, while some say it's a place you can never return to and even some, like Bon Jovi, wonder "Who says you can't go home?" There's a wonderland spot in Los Feliz known (in full) as There's No Place Like Home that is a step outside of all that LA seems to be. Inside I'm reminded of the Ivy minus all the people pretending to be something they're not. They're set up with an open patio area that is very reminiscent of an Italian outdoor banquet (minus the heat lamps haha).

Though they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner I can only talk about breakfast. Something in me only wants to go there for breakfast. I think it's the atmosphere or something, but any other time of day just doesn't seem right to me. That being said their breakfast is something special.

What we have below are two lovely examples of their craftsmanship. The first is their Banana and Walnut Stuffed French Toast drizzled with sweet cream on top. It sounds and looks decadent. It tastes glorious! The egg bread they use is the perfect canvas for the creation. When you first look you think... man is this going to be too rich for me... but they did something that really balanced it out. One word. Strawberries. The strawberries really tie the entire thing together without tiring out your palate. The sweet cream is also a nice touch making each bite ever so moist. The entire thing is not so over the top as you'd imagine by looking at it. You can tell as soon as you taste this that they put some serious thought in to it.

This my friends is their breakfast burrito. A seasoned flour tortilla, thin but strong enough to hold everything together, wraps its way around black beans, apple-smoked bacon, melted cheese and the perfect amount of eggs to tie it all together. My advice... get it, eat it, love it.

Oddly enough they have a special that is sort of an enigma. Their rainy day special is as follows: "Buy one entrée and get the next one of equal or lesser value 50% off. Breakfast and lunch items only, and it must be a rainy day in L.A., not misty, not potentially going to rain, actually raining on top of us. May not be combined with any other offer." So from how I understand it in my simple mind is that you can get the deal if you don't mind getting rained on. One extra special is that they have a coupon in the Entertainment book to give you the slick discount. Well worth it indeed.

There is no place like home. And while I get a little bit nostalgic about how my home was for me when I was growing up in the projects with a mom who cared enough to do everything in her humanly powers to raise me with convictions, good morals and phenomenal food. This is a wonderful way to fill that empty spot in my heart.


Free Drink Refills: Yes
Entree Price Range: Breakfast $3 to $12, Lunch $8 to $11 and Dinner $13 to $20


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home