Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hurry Curry of Tokyo


2131 Sawtelle Blvd.
West Los Angeles
California 90025
(310)473-1640
Sun-Thur 11:30AM-10PM
Fri-Sat 11:30AM-11PM

I hope your weekends were long and filled with good eats. Hurry Curry, though it has a second location (in Pasadena), is barely a chain and so I'm including it. The food is consistently good and I have always had service with a smile.

When I first moved into LA with my good friend Takeshi Nishimoto, we lived together and when Celeste (my future wife) didn't come over to cook we would attempt our own weird creations. I'm more of a book cook and Takeshi was more of a "I'll eat anything" kind of guy. But one of my fondest memories of him was when he would cook curry. He wouldn't take a day to make curry...he would take a week! Now let me explain this...it was completely from scratch and he cooked it like 8 to 10 hours a day for a week (being a musician made this possible). By the end of the week he had meat that was so tender that it would virtually liquify as it touched your tongue. The onions had vanished from all the simmering and the carrots practically dissolved on your tongue. It was curry with such detail that for me judging other curries has always been a difficult thing.

At Hurry Curry you get the convenient curry though still very tasty . Located in the "mini Japanese strip" of Sawtelle between Olympic and Santa Monica. It's a small cafe in a strip mall with other Japanese shops and eateries. We started off with some pan fried gyoza that have gotten better since I first started going there a while back. Not too bready and not too greasy which can often be the problem when you get them fried:

Next up of course were a couple of curries. I got the Tokyo Curry and Celeste got the chicken curry.


The chicken curry had super moist tender chunks of chicken with their very homestyle oriented curry sauce. The Tokyo Curry is slightly different in that instead of having a slightly spicy tinge to it is has a sweeter edge to it. Not like candy sweet but more like veggie sweet. A very hearty curry in that each bite is accompanied with vegetables or meat all on a bed of fluffy rice with a hard boiled egg. Quite the worthy plate of food for the hungry stomach in an undecisive pinch.

I won't expound tons on here except that they also have cutlet plates as well where you have pieces of meat on a bed of rice and then the curry sauce on top. It's all great stuff to have as a substitute for eating burgers and fries somewhere that might kill you.

Free Drink Refills: Yup
Entree Price Range:$8 to $9.50 (not too shabby for a satisfying plate of food)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a 'Curry in a Hurry' here in NY. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in every large urban locale.

June 13, 2007 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Actually according to their website there's only 3 locations and 2 of them are in the US (in West LA and Pasadena). So they're trying to knock off the real Hurry Curry. The last location being in Indonesia. Though I will say that Hurry Curry is a popular name for many curry houses...Indian and Japanese alike.

June 13, 2007 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Kayla Gesinski said...

Hurry Curry sounds like a nursery rhyme...haha

June 14, 2007 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Who knows...maybe it is a Japenese children's nursery rhyme. Well maybe.

June 14, 2007 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Kayla Gesinski said...

Perhaps! ;) they should sing nursrey rhymes while you eat lol.
it's okay, you don't need to tell me how smart I am, I already know (haha!).
Aren't you just so proud that I am posting on my blog! lol
later

June 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger H. C. said...

I actually prefer "Curry House" over "Hurry Curry" as far as Japanese-styled curries are concern, I like the mellower & richer taste of CH curries (The HC version is a bit too pungent for me.)

June 15, 2007 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Typically I do as well. The one small thing issue I have with Curry House is that sometimes they're inconsistent. Sometimes the curry is downright bland. But yes when they're on they're really on and it's totally worth to be right across the street.

June 15, 2007 at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home