Thursday, May 10, 2007

3 Square Cafe...dang those burgers look good

1121 Abbot Kinney Rd.
Venice, CA 90291
(310)399-6504
Breakfast and Lunch: Mon-Fri 8AM-3PM
Sat-Sun 9AM-4PM
Dinner: Tues-Sat 5PM-10PM
Brunch: Sat-Sun 9AM-4PM
Cafe hours: Everyday 7AM-6PM


After seeing Bree over at Triple Creme's post about 3 Square Cafe I put it down immediately on my places to eat at. Soooo glad we went. I guess the best way to put is that it's a treat for your eyes as well as your mouth. It's basically a little bakery cafe that serves up hearty/tasty bits of German inspired goodness.
We started our dinner experience with the avocado fries:

Okay now here's where I'll take personal license and tell you to also order the corn crepe stuffed with Black Forest Ham, roasted bell peppers and fontina cheese.

First off the avocado fries were an interesting idea and awesome if you love avocado. The breading on the body of them really brings out the flavor. But the amazing thing is that if you order the second dish mentioned you will have the most amazing dipping sauce for the avocado fries. The crepes in and of themselves were stellar. I would go back and have these alone cause they were that good. Kind of smooth dairy based in flavoring and just melted in your mouth... dang soooo incredibly good. The ham played wonderfully against the cream and corn.

The next course consisted of meat mostly. It's a German inspired place so we figured you can't go wrong with the meat not to mention the pics of the Rockenwagner classic pretzel burger that we've seen... it was kind of a no brainer. We ordered one pretzel burger with fries and the 3 mini burgers with pickles (pickled veggies was a pleasant surprise for us when we looked underneath our burger cups!) and fries. The mini burgers consisted of a small pretzel burger, a mushroom burger on brioche and a salmon burger on brioche.


Okay so just like going to a hoffbrau or other meat restaurant you get the full flavor of beef in your mouth. We got ours medium rare and it came out just a tad juicier than medium rare but it was all good. The bread was great on all the burgers and and a fun surprise was the mushroom burger with the ketchup they provided. Something new for me and gave me something else to also dip in that amazing sauce from the crepes as well (that stuff works with almost everything!). Might I recommend the Sam Smith Organic ale they have by the bottle. Went great with all the meat despite it being an English beer.

For desert, we had an amazing chocolate souffle that was recommended by our waitress. Before we get to that let me say that their coffee IS something write home about...wow a very full flavored light roast. Like Kenyan minus the berry qualities. The souflee came with a dab of sweet cream, a pretzel (that I do believe had some lime on it as well as drizzled with chocolate), and a small dark chocolate that had smooth peanut butter in it. What can I say more than dang. It was a perfect desert. The chocolate was what you imagine when you crave chocolate except the craving is satisfied after each bite. I need this stuff on tap somewhere. Just one of those well crafted pieces of "chefsmanship".

The place itself is not too big but has a patio and considering it's Abbot Kinney you can always hang outside and enjoy the view!

Free Drink Refills: Yes
Entree Price Range: Breakfast about $11 Lunch about $12 and Dinner was about $15 to $18ish (a step above the rest for what you get)


As a reminder and speaking of burgers...good ones tonight at The Mint where you can meet me after my set (I'll be playing at 9PM). Come on down and maybe I'll buy you there burger sampler plate which is darn good and a drink. You say I wouldn't but actually I'm sweet like that and would love to see your darling faces...

PS.I'll be the one with the upright bass ;)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger triplecreme said...

Oh my God...your food looks so much better than what I got! I have to try those avocado fries!!

May 11, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fried avocado, where have you been all my life?

Those burgers look great, I will have to try. Have you been to Barney's at the Brentwood Country Mart? Great burgers, reasonably priced, but they don't serve any beer :(

Good choice on the Sam Smith. I totally spotted it hiding behind the fries.

May 15, 2007 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

It was quite the mix. Hey nice page man. Have you tried Praqster yet? They have it on tap at Tender Greens and I've been trying my hardest to get it from Wally's for sometime but it seems to be a difficult thing to get from North Coast Brewing.

May 16, 2007 at 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've captured the platonic ideal that is "hamburger".

The pretzel bun looks incredible - soft but crisp.

May 16, 2007 at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home