Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Johnnie's (aka. the other French Dip/ Pastrami place)


4017 Sepulveda Blvd
Culver City, CA 90230
(310)397-6654
Sun-Thurs 10AM-2:30AM
Fri-Sat 10AM-3:30AM

A most debatable place is Johnnie's in Culver City. Let me back it up and say that I've been to great places where I've had amazing steaks before and have gone back and then the steak was so so. That being said pastrami is such an unusual meat. Ribbons of fat can taste good or they can be aggravating.

Johnnie's has been around for a crazy long time (1952) and is now a landmark (thank you LA). Original juke boxes:



On to what matters. We grabbed a hot pastrami and a cheeseburger this time around. A nice little bonus is both come with their amazing pickles (which you can get by the pound and one day we might). Let me apologize for not snapping a shot of the burger... I suck. It was a great tasting back yard hearty burger. I'd buy it again if I have $6.50 in cash floating around (kind of pricey but I think about Apple Pan and remember it's the exact same thing there). The pastrami was good. I'm not going to proclaim it as stellar cause it wasn't but here's the one thing that is weird. Some bites actually tasted significantly better than others. Only a couple of small bits of aggravating fat...all the rest was yummy. Let's examine:

And get really deep:

It was good and if I don't feel like making the schlepp to Philipe's in downtown I'll hit here for sure cause it's pretty good when it's right on. The verdict is very difficult when it comes to Johnnies cause it's an inconsistent meat. Just look at citysearch to see what I mean. You either love it or hate it.


In the end remember these things... cash only and they're open late! They've been around for a long time so they must be doing something right and everyone's taste buds are different. With those bits of sage advice I bid you adieu.

Free Drink Refills: Yup
Entree Price Range: about $7 to $10

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home