Friday, April 25, 2008

Creperie...what Jack N' Jill were really up to


8738 W. 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(310)858-4900
Mon-Thu 11AM-10PM
Fri 11AM-11PM
Sat 9AM-11PM
Sun 9AM-9PM

The small strip of area just west of the Beverly Center on 3rd has some amazing little gems for dining. A while ago I went with Celeste to Michelia and had an amazing meal (lobster that was to die for). Alas, Michelia's is now gone and in it's place is Creperie by Jack N Jill's. While I shall miss Michelia's, it's replacement is delightful and yet another great option for the all ready assorted breakfasty places on 3rd.
The spring time fresh vibe at Creperie is perfect now the weather has been heating up and will continue to the further we get towards summer (God I love LA). First things first, get the coffee. So freaking good and for $3.50 for the large French press of their special blend you will not be disappointed. Though you can't really tell from eyeing it, the French press they give you gives you about 5 of their cups of coffee.
Being as this is a place that specializes in crepes you'd be foolish to not get some (though the burger they have is something that must be had next time I go there...along with a crepe). Shown here is their Baton Rouge crepe which is made up of blackened chicken, red onion, cilantro, cheese, all in a smoky Pinot Noir reduction. Typically wine reductions that are this rich either lose the original wine flavor or are nothing but the wine flavor. The balance here is perfection; you can truly taste the Pinot Noir and yet it's not overpowering at all nor is it that rich. Indeed it's very savory but it's an easy choice for those desiring boldness without going over the edge.

Their "Perfect Little Creperie Salad" is the bomb. I, as many of you know, don't really care so much for salads of any sort. It's not that I hate them or anything, I just don't find them all that wonderful in my palate. In other words I'm not craving too many green things at all. This little salad which came as a side with our crepe is just like it say..."perfect". Fresh butter lettuce, candied pecans, roma tomatoes, mushrooms, shaved carrots, with their citrus vinaigrette was so dang good. This is honestly a salad I could have with just about any meal. Simply delicious.

The hearty eater in me had to have a main course since I'm not actually from LA (those of you from LA take that comment as you want). Their pulled pork sandwich was rich but in a good way since you don't really get tired of the sauce which was slightly tangy bbq with a hint of smokiness that glued all the pork fibers together. Amazing but I must admit I had food envy when I saw their burger delivered at the table next to me (should have snapped a shot but someone might have thought I was taking a pic of Adam Sandler who was in the same direction as that table).

A nice thing about crepes is you can get them hearty or sweet; giving yourself a dessert. The Gentilly (shown above) was a great introduction to a simple sweet crepe done well. Made with apricot preserves, cream cheese and honey it was a perfect ending for the already scrumptious meal we had. At times, I was a little apprehensive that there might not be enough cream cheese to balance out the preserves but it only happened in a couple of bites. No easy feat to pull that off.

I see myself coming here way more often since it's not on the immediate brunch stomping ground of 3rd st (Toast, Joan's, etc.) and for the fact that it's a little something different. Sure the parking can be weird (they do have valet if you don't mind waiting next to celebs or the or the other option of walking a couple of blocks for street parking) but the dining experience of quality, interesting food with quality service is always what's called for on this stretch of road. If there was anything I could have wanted to replace Michelia's when they left, it's the Creperie.

Free Refills: Don't know...get the coffee...it goes with everything they serve!
Entree Price Ranges: $9 to $14 for everything but the grill and rotisserie selections which range from $15 to $25...get a crepe ;)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome review (nice pictures too.. making me hungry)!

Try the Rotisserie Chicken next time you get a chance. You won't be disappointed (I know, I know.. you should always stick with crepes at a place called Creperie.. but the combination of Louisiana spices, lemon, and juicy chicken is really something that you must try).

April 28, 2008 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, also, there are free refills.. if you're not in a coffee mood, try the Peach Lemonade.. it was the first time in a long time that I had to ASK the waitress to stop bringing me refills!

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Nice! Thanks for the heads up man!

May 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home